Saltine Cracker Toffee, aka “Christmas Crack” (I have never been a fan of that name) is one of my favorite things to make. I was only introduced to it by a friend last Christmas and I have been making it ever since. It is so easy to make and involves very few ingredients so it is a great dessert to whip up for last-minute situations. I just change my toppings to fit each holiday.This time, I used green candy melts and fun toppings to make a spooky version for Halloween.
Monster Saltine Cracker Toffee
A Halloween twist on this classic dessert. Add edible eyes, gummy worms, mini Oreos, m&ms and sprinkles for a fun and easy dessert
Credit: adapted from theidearoom.net
- 30-40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups green candy melts
- mini M&M’s, mini oreos to make bats, candy eyes, gummy worms and sprinkles to decorate
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Line a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray and then line the pan with saltine crackers.
- Place the butter and sugar in a medium-sized pot over medium-low heat. Stir until butter has melted. Once butter has melted, bring to a boil. Stir constantly. Turn down the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
- Once it’s nice and bubbly, remove pan from heat.
- Pour evenly over saltine crackers and spread mixture with a knife. Try to move fast during this part so the toffee doesn’t harden.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes.
- While pan is in the oven, place bowl of candy melts in microwave and melt following packaging instructions. *They don’t need to be completely melted as the heat from the toffee will finish melting them*
- Remove pan from oven and then pour candy melts on top and spread all over the toffee with a spatula.
- Sprinkle toppings on then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Once chocolate has hardened break pieces off the foil and store in an air-tight container.
*Another fun little tip is to make this in two smaller pans so you can use different toppings. I made one pan of the Monster Saltine Cracker Toffee and one pan of Candy Corn Saltine Cracker Toffee. For the candy corn toffee use orange, yellow and white candy melts, orange and yellow m&m’s, sprinkles and candy corn (if you don’t eat it all while baking….oops) 😉