These are my all-time favorite cupcakes. My best friend shared the recipe with me years ago and I have been making them ever since. I make them every year for Christmas, but we love them so much I decided they should be part of our Valentine baking too. At Christmastime, I sprinkle them with crushed candy cane, but for Valentine’s Day, I used little heart sprinkles and an adorable printable from Bakerella to make them cupid cupcakes. They turned out so cute and now we have an excuse to make these more than once a year. 😉
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
Our favorite cupcakes that are perfect for Christmas, Valentine's Day or any time you feel like treating yourself
- 24 paper liners for cupcake pans
- 1 package plain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring *I only use enough to make it red, about 1/4-1/2 the bottle*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips For White Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped *I use Ghiradelli chips*
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line 24 cupcakes with paper liners.
- Blend cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring and eggs in large mixing bowl for 30 seconds using an electric mixer on low-speed. Increase mixer speed and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides as needed. Fold in the chocolate chips. Scoop into lined cupcake cups, filling each three-quarters of the way full. Place in oven.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed with your finger. Remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- To make frosting, place the white chocolate chips in a small glass bowl in the microwave oven. *Original recipe says to cook on high power for 1 minute, but my chocolate burns if I do this. Instead I cook it at 50% power for 30 seconds then add 15 seconds more if needed* Stir until smooth
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl on low-speed until well combined, about 30 seconds. Add melted white chocolate and blend until just combined, about 30 seconds. Add the peppermint extract and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar and blend on low until the sugar is incorporated, 30 seconds more. Increase the mixer and beat until the frosting is fluffy, about 1 minute more, adding up to 1/2 cup more sugar if needed to make a spreadable consistency.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of frosting on each cupcake and swirl to spread using a short metal spatula.
- Store the cupcakes in the refrigerator.