Green Velvet Mint Cupcakes
A fun twist on our favorite cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor that are perfect for St. Patrick's Day
- 24 paper liners for cupcake pans
- 1 package plain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) green food coloring *I only use enough to reach desired green color, about 1/4-1/2 the bottle*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Andes creme de menthe baking chips For White Chocolate Mint Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces Ghiradelli white chocolate chips
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line 24 cupcakes with paper liners.
- Blend cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring and eggs in large mixing bowl for 30 seconds using an electric mixer on low-speed. Increase mixer speed and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides as needed. Fold in the Andes baking chips. Scoop into lined cupcake cups, filling each three-quarters of the way full. Place in oven.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed with your finger. Remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- To make frosting, place the white chocolate chips in a small glass bowl in the microwave oven. Cook on 50% power for 30 seconds, then add 15 seconds more if needed. Stir until smooth.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl on low-speed until well combined, about 30 seconds. Add melted white chocolate and blend until just combined, about 30 seconds. Add the mint extract and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar and blend on low until the sugar is incorporated, 30 seconds more. Increase the mixer and beat until the frosting is fluffy, about 1 minute more, adding up to 1/2 cup more sugar if needed to make a spreadable consistency.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of frosting on each cupcake and swirl to spread using a short metal spatula.
- Store the cupcakes in the refrigerator.
For more St. Patrick’s Day fun check out this post. 🙂