My oldest son has food allergies and both of my boys had food sensitivities while nursing so we have done our fair share of elimination/allergy friendly diets. Since I have a major sweet tooth, I spent a good chunk of time trying to come up with “safe” versions of desserts. Rice Krispy treats were one of my go to’s, but for Easter, I put a fun little twist on them and used Fruity Pebbles instead. I also stuck the treats into a plastic Easter egg to mold them into egg shapes. I placed them in an empty egg carton left over from our confetti eggs and the kids loved them (I’ve also seen empty egg cartons in the Dollar Section at Target). If you know someone, especially a kid, who has food allergies, you know how amazing it is when they don’t feel left out of holidays and celebrations. I hope this dessert brings some joy to your family this Easter.
Allergy Friendly Fruity Pebble Treats
Easy allergy-friendly treat (Wheat, Dairy, Egg and Nut Free). For Easter use a plastic egg to mold them into an egg shape.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups marshmallows
- 5 cups Fruity Pebbles Cereal
- Dash of vanilla (optional)
- Microwave oil and marshmallows in large bowl for 1 minute 30 seconds or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended. (keep in mind that the oil will not blend in as well as butter does)
- Add a dash of vanilla (optional) and stir.
- Add cereal and mix well.
- If making into eggs, press into greased plastic egg, then set aside to cool.
*I only roughly follow the measurements above – just add cereal until the treats are to your preferred cereal to marshmallow ratio 😉 I also usually double the recipe – especially when making these for parties*
*As with any allergies, I recommend double checking labels. What is tolerated by one person may not be tolerated by another so use caution when trying ingredients for the first time.*